ZOOM and other ways to stay connected
The social distancing guidelines as well as the recent resurgences of COVID-19 has forced many to remain at home, thus removing us from our typical social environments and networks. Many have turned to technology to connect with friends and family that they are unable to see in person.
While technology can be daunting, particularly to those who did not grow up immersed with it, it is extremely helpful in keeping us connected. A video chat for a family member’s birthday, an online happy hour, or even online bingo is sure to bring a smile to your face and help you feel a semblance of normal if even just for a second. Follow these instructions and tips below to get started on how to use Skype, Facetime, and Zoom!
- Zoom is a web based video conferencing tool that allows users to meet online with or without video. Zoom can be used on a computer, tablet, or phone and is accessed by downloading the app. Here are online tutorials for scheduling a Zoom meeting, joining a Zoom, and meeting controls.
- Helpful Features: Using the screen share feature on Zoom allows others to see your screen and is great for watching movies together or playing online games.
- Facetime is a user-friendly video conferencing option for people with Apple products. Just open up the app on your iPad, iPhone, or Apple computer, and type in the phone number or email address into the search bar.
- Facebook is a free social media platform used to share pictures, videos, personal stories, music, and articles. It is a free app that can be downloaded to your smartphone, tablet, or accessed on a computer. It is great for keeping up with out-of-town family or friends. Here is a helpful link for setting up your profile page.
- Shared online games
- While you may not be able to play traditional games in person, there are many online equivalents that are sure to be just as fun. Words with Friends is an equivalent to Scrabble that you can play on your smartphone or tablet. Simply download the app and look up your friend’s name by username to get started. Online Bingo and Battleship are two other classics that only require a computer.
These technologies are just the start of finding new ways to stay connected.