Making the Move to a New Home
Moving to a new home can be an opportunity for renewal—a fresh start promising new friends and opportunities. It can also be an emotional time that requires some planning and thought.
The first step for many is selling a home. This may not be something you’ve done recently, and the prospect may be intimidating. Moving often also requires downsizing, which can be emotionally taxing but also quite freeing as you say goodbye to things you no longer need and make more room for the things you truly value.
Allow plenty of time for the process and recruit friends or family to help. Here are some key strategies for the move:
- Set packing goals to reach by certain dates
- Designated clearly labelled piles for
- Gift to friends and family
- Coordinate with movers and the senior living facility
- Ask senior living staff if there’s anything you should make sure to bring with you
Moving can be physically and emotionally exhausting at any age. Tap into your social network—and your senior living community—for help to make the move as smooth and hassle-free as possible. For more information on how to make the move, download the senior living guide.