Did you know – Fun facts about grandparents
September celebrates grandparents and the special connections between different generations. The roots of Grandparents Day trace back to 1956 when a West Virginia mother organized a celebration to honor the many nursing home residents in her community. It was recognized as a national holiday in 1978. To continue the tradition in honoring our grandparents who bring joy and wisdom to our lives here are some fun facts!
- There are over 70 million grandparents in the nation. Grandparents represent one-third of the population and lead 37% of all U.S. households in this country.
- Grandparents are generous! They make 45% of the nation’s cash contributions to nonprofit organizations.
- 72% think being a grandparent is the single most important role in their lives.
- Maya Angelou, Carol Burnett, Bill Clinton, Willie Nelson, Eric Clapton, and Oprah Winfrey are just a few famous faces who were raised by their grandparents.
- 2 million U.S. households are multigenerational.
- Grandparents are intellectually curious. 71% say reading is one of their favorite activities.