Which Senior Living Option Is the Right Fit?
When considering senior living communities, it’s important to understand the types of senior living available and match your preferences and needs to find the right fit.
Among the most popular options are assisted living and memory care.
Assisted living is ideal for individuals who:
- Need more help than staying at home can provide
- Would like help with day-to-day care, such as bathing, dressing, and remembering medications
- Are interested in a sense of community and structured activities and opportunities
- Don’t want to have to worry about housework and yardwork
- Want the option of prepared meals
Memory care is geared more toward individuals who:
- Have a cognitive disease, like dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Need structured 24-hour assistance with attentive staff
- Have a tendency to wander or get lost easily
- Would benefit from an environment designed around combatting the progression of cognitive issues through facility layout and targeted activities
Once you’ve determined what kind of care is needed, you can focus on how well a community meets your lifestyle requirements. For example:
- Is the community pet friendly?
- What transportation options are available?
- Are there opportunities for you to continue with your faith?
- What sort of activities and social outlets are offered?
- How is safety and security addressed?
To read more about how to find the right community to meet your needs and support your lifestyle, download the senior living guide.