Is Now the Right Time to Move?
Deciding to move to a senior living community can be a big step. The right time to do so is different for each person and many factors can influence your decision.
Leaving your home can be taxing and emotional, yes, but senior living communities offer numerous opportunities to build up a new community and home in a setting that will provide you with the support you need to live an engaged and fulfilling life.
Not only can a senior living community offer you more independence, the change can also be a lot safer. Whether it be fear of fire or falling, forgotten medications, or a tendency to isolate, your current living arrangement may not be the safest place for you anymore. Moving somewhere with a built-in support system can make a world of difference.
Trained and caring staff aren’t the only members of your support network in senior living. Residents are the lifeblood of the community, participating in clubs and activities that you, too, will have the chance to contribute to if you decide a senior living facility is the right choice for you.
Consider these questions:
- Is staying at home beginning to feel as taxing as the idea of leaving?
- Do you feel isolated or lonely in your home?
- Is housework and yardwork becoming tedious and draining?
- Have you had trouble keeping track of which medications to take and when?
- Do you or family members worry about your fall risk?
- Do you have any medical conditions, such as cognitive concerns, that make it dangerous to stay in your home?
- Would you feel more comfortable with someone there to help you with day-to-day tasks like meal prep, bathing, or getting dressed?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then now is probably a good time for you to consider the move. Download the senior living guide to learn more about what to do next.