Honoring Those Who Fought for Us: Veteran’s Day 2018
On Veteran’s Day, Americans remember all who served and continue to serve for our country. At Sodalis Senior Living, we are privileged to honor a few vet residents. Take for example Judson “Judd” Brodie Jr., who joined the Navy in 1940 right before World War II began. Judd was on the USS Yorktown when they took damage at the Battle of Midway. He went through many experiences during his time in the Navy and retired after 30 years with the rank of Lieutenant Commander. Now, Judd is a lifetime member of the Retired Officer’s Association.
Below are the rest of Sodalis’ veterans and their rank and years of service in their respected branches. We salute our men and women!
Veteran Residents at Sodalis Dripping Springs
- Ronald Bowden was a Commander in the U.S. Navy. He spent most of his assignment in the Reserves and served near the end of the Vietnam War.
- Sharon Jean was in the Air Force where she met her husband in 1961. They proudly have four children, two boys and two girls.
Veteran Residents at Sodalis Buda
- George Henry was in the U.S. Airforce from 1950 to 1970. George was born on the 4th of July and served in the military for 20 years. He attempted to join the Marine Corps. but was unfortunately too young at the time. He joined the Air Force in 1950 and his during his term he served two sessions in the Korean War. While in the Air Force, George placed 4th in all U.S. Military for sharp shooting.
- Samuel McCullock served in the U.S. Airforce. He was stationing and living in Japan for three and a half years. Sam ranked up to Lieutenant Colonel and retired after 20 years of service.
- Bobby Rayburn was drafted into the U.S. Army just in time to serve three years during the Korean War.
- Joe Ewen served in the Marines during the Vietnam War.
- Joseph Harle got a “call from Uncle Sam” in February of 1953 and was drafted to the Army where he served for two years. After finishing his time in 1956, he enlisted himself to serve in the U.S. Airforce. Joe bought a brand-new, 1958 Chevy Bel Aire and drove over 4000 miles from Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska, where he was stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base, and served five years.
- Raymond Spradling joined the U.S. Marines and served in the Korean War. He was discharged in 1955.
Veteran Residents at Sodalis Victoria
- Plye served two years in the U.S. Navy. He was a hospital corpsman.
- William Smiga served two years in the U.S Army.
- Miles Baker served six years in the Korean War and was a U.S Army Combat.
- John Huddson served two years providing exercise for mental patients.
- Charles Preslar served in World War II in Italy for two years. He was there when the war ended as a mechanic foreman and sergeant.
- Robert Gallardo served three years as a sergeant and body-man.
We are proud to serve our entire communities every single day, but it is a true honor to recognize our resident vets this Veteran’s Day.
Would you like more information on Sodalis Senior Living or a tour of our communities? Feel free to reach out to us at 830-624-1044 or fill out our short online form.